I’ll leave the light on for you!
Don’t you love it when you get a bright idea and all the “broken pieces mend stronger!”
We just finished watching all the seasons of Revenge. It’s a show on Netflix where a young woman, Emily, tries to get revenge on a family for her father’s death. Just when you think all the pieces will come together…everything falls apart.
Sorta like DIY projects!
This project worked out just as I envision. Nothing fell apart…yet!
Vintage Styled Lighting
If the true lighting was my final goal this DIY project would be like an episode of Revenge. Emily and I would be faced with electrocution!
Actual light was not my goal. The first photo above has a photo edited glow. My goal was a unique prop for photos. You can see it in use on my Fall Vignette.
Behind the Scenes
Along with this post, I added a new category called “Behind the Scenes.” I want to share with you some of the going on behind putting together Country Design Style. It’s just as fun and creative!!!
Vintage Styled Lighting Steps
These are the broken pieces. There is a light with a cloth cord and vintage plug. The light and wood bracket was bought at the Junk in the Trunk Vintage Market. I paid $6 for the light and bracket was $2.
First, I cut a piece of 1 by 3 by 7 in half. Then, I cut a 1/4 inch piece from a 3/4 dowel. Then grabbed 3 staples.
I drilled two holes through one piece of wood that the “plug” will plug into.
On the back, I marked the center about 1 inch from the top edge.
Scrap wood was clamped into the “U” shape to hold the small pieces in place to router a keyhole. Now the wood will hang flush against the wall…or shutter!
The pieces of wood were aged with tea and ironed vinegar. The bracket was screwed to one piece of wood. I used the staples to hold the cord to the wood bracket. The dowel circle got a coat of black and glued to the “outlet” as a “vintage knob.” Next, I plugged in the light!
Now for the shutters…
These were bought at our Restore Habitat for Humanity store for $5. I used them in our Autumn Mantel. Now, I want to get them an update.
I cut thin wood pieces to fit and glued them into place. It took f~o~r~e~v~e~r to dry…it was raining.
Ready for painting. A rustic coat of plain o’ white chalk type paint.
The lighting will not always hang on the shutters. I do think it will be fun to work with as a prop.
Let me know if “Behind the Scenes” will interest you in comments below. The vintage styled lighting worked out just as I pictured it.
I think my broken pieces mended stronger! 🙂
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our DIY HelpLetter each Thursday. Plus grab your Interior Decorating Ideas e-book.