I had plans to start an interior decorating blog. But my passion for teaching DIY skills and designing easy DIY projects evolved into a DIY home blog.
What can reading and following Country Design Style do for you?
Do you wish to develop DIY skills to turn your home into a stunning and cozy home within a budget? Then you’ve come to the right place.
Come on in to my little workshop.
My name is Jeanette, and this is my little workshop on the internet where I share “do it yourself” projects.
Country Design Style is a place to share dreamed up and outta the box DIY projects.
Yet, it is more than that.
HERE’S A BIT ABOUT ME AND HOW I HOPE TO HELP YOU “FIND THE DIY IN YOU!”
imagine what you will create….
How All This Began
I was born in Oklahoma and spent as much of my youth with my farming grandparents as the school would let me. An early lesson was learning to do it myself. I watched grandpa repair and build things, at times, even making the tool needed for repairs. My Dad was a common-sense problem solver. He taught me to work through problems. He always said, “There’s not a problem that can not be solved.”
This is me, barefoot, sewing curtains for a dollhouse at six years old. I still sew barefoot! 🙂 I’ve always loved houses. Dollhouses, playhouses, cottages, farmhouses, and cabins. It was about this time; my dad handed me an old alarm clock and tools to take it apart and remake it. However, I don’t think the clock ever worked again!
I was a single mom for most of my son’s youth. I didn’t have extra money. We lived in simple homes with beautiful rooms. It was only the two of us, but we were a family.
Before blogging, I started a furniture and home decor business, called Porch Decor. We live on the Central Coast of California. There I built, remade, and painted items to sell wholesale in local shops. Mantels are my favorite thing to make.
Our Family and Home
We currently live in a cabin in the mountains of Arizona. Mike, my guy, copes with my strange DIY ideas.
We live with our dogs, Emily and Otis. They are a blast and quite funny. Perfect DIY pups.
Our local Humane Society is my charity. I give 5% of all my website earnings…and the puppies are starving! In reality, I do give a bit more.
I would be building, creating, and decorating even if I didn’t blog!
I am not a writer. My writing is as if I’m talking to a friend. There will be pauses…the misspelledwordswillbeonpurpose. I show emotion with punctuation. :0 My favorite part of blogging is sharing and interacting with readers. CDS has a new category called “easy sell-able projects.” I have a large three-ring binder full of design plans to share. If you’re new to woodworking, there’s help in the “Design Workshop” a live video series. It’s available for free to all email subscribers. I tell new woodworkers, “If you can follow a recipe in the kitchen, follow a design plan in the workshop.” I’m a “casual” DIY’er, in that I will try it to see if it works. The small details are essential, but I don’t sweat the small details. Actually, I think I sweat sawdust!!! Eww!
My style is Farmhouse Rustic. I like DIY that solves a problem. Repurposing instead of tossing it. L~O~V~E working with the broken parts…even the pieces of wood swept up in the dustpan! Broken pieces mend stronger.
Random quirky things about me.
- Shopping is NOT my thing unless I’m walking into a thrift store or vintage market than go clothes shopping.
- I’m left-handed but can write with both hands at the same time.
- I’ve never eaten a Twinkie. 🙂
- First wore braces at 57 years old. The oldest braces my dentist had. They liked that my appointments didn’t need to be after school.
- During grades 1 through 12, I attended 9 different schools. Mom and dad moved a lot!
- I started wearing contacts at age 11. Hard contact lenses.
- I cry at dog food commercials.
- During drivers ed, I hit the teacher’s car. Still passed the class. Whew!
- Only had one speeding ticket.
- I enjoy the planning process…almost to a fault. Tend to forget to actually get the plans done.
- I host family murder parties.
- Never, ever did I think I would enjoy teaching. But I find I can’t wait to teach online and during live videos. I’m a Leo, and it took years to learn I do like getting in front of people!
IF you’re not too bored yet you can read 40 MORE things about me here.