Raise your hand if you like easy.
Raise your hand if you like tips.
Raise your hand if you like DIY.
Okay, now our exercise class is over at least for one arm!!
Today I thought I would share my collection of DIY tips.
12 DIY tips to make your projects easier
- Use a small piece of aluminum foil to hold small amounts of paint. Every couple of months I grab a small paint brush and a small foil tray with a dollop of wall paint. Then freshen up the walls. Note: That’s not what I’m doing above…so far we don’t have any black walls…so far!!! Above I was painting a couple of hooks black for a sign outside.
2. Wipe edges of chalk paint jars with wet wipes to make opening again easier.
3. Use rubber gloves if you forgot to wipe the jar.
4. If a screw will not go in easy rub an old candle across the threads. Above I’m sharing an old candle and piece of woodworking beeswax just for woodworking.
5. Use a small nail to keep glue from clogging up. The top fits right over the nail. Use a condiment or food prep bottle for wood glue. In the winter I bring the wood glue inside. Glues don’t like freezing temps.
6. A stiff small artist type brush can be used to apply wood glue to the edges of boards.
7. Clean brushes right away or at the very least drop into a cup of water. Use old newspaper to remove extra paint from bristles.
8. After washing your paint brushes, hang with bristles down. This will help water dry from inside the ferrule or metal part. Water in the ferrule will break down the bristles over time.
9. Use shampoo and conditioner to wash paint brushes.
10. Use those quick grip type clamps to extra hands. Use the screw down type clamps for extra strength.
11. Making a wood crate or box and don’t have enough clamps? Use a piece of rope and a screwdriver. Wrap the rope around your glued up boards. Tie in a knot. Insert screwdriver and twist tightening up the rope around the box. Use one clamp to hold the screwdriver in place until the glue dries.
12. Why do I use 3 by 5 recipe cards in the workshop? To clean up any wood glue that oozes out from wood. Easy Peezy!
Grab a Dollar Tree spray bottle, add water and spray lightly over the paper. Watch the magic happen as the paper uncurles and lays flat. Watch the magic on this Pinterest pin.
Here’s several Hot Glue Gun tips.
Do you have any DIY tips to share?
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our DIY HelpLetter each Thursday. Plus grab your Interior Decorating Ideas e-book.